For the buyer who would love to live the good life, or run their own business from home, Windy Hill could be the perfect solution. This sympathetically renovated typical Pembrokeshire Longhouse retains many of the original features, and enjoys an idyllic setting on the edge of the hamlet of Penffordd. It is South facing and offers amazing panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. In addition to the 4/5 bedroom house, which has been fully modernised, the property comprises two stone buildings, a large concrete courtyard area, and a Dutch barn. One of the outbuilding has the potential for further restoration and conversion, subject to the necessary planning permissions. The other building, which has access through to the barn, has been converted to a "gym" with further storage and office space, with superfast fibre with an average speed of 60mbs per second.
Windy Hill is approximately 10 minutes drive away from the popular town of Narberth, and has easy access to the A40. The ancient County town of Haverfordwest is within 20 minutes drive and offers a great variety of shops and also easily accessible outlying retail parks. Other local attractions such as Llys-y-fran country park and reservoir, Oakwood and the beautiful Preseli Hills are also within a 20 minute drive. The popular seaside resorts of Tenby and Saundersfoot are less than a 30 minute drive away.
* Further property information.
Double glazed uPVC windows and entrance door, multi layer polycarbonate roofing and slate floor.
Entrance by way of half paned glass door uPVC door into entrance hallway, quarry tiles, stairs to first floor, understairs storage cupboard. Pendant light, doors to dining room and living room.
Quarry tiled flooring, uPVC double glazed window to front, feature stone fireplace with wooden beam incorporated, with wood burning stove, feature shelf recess with matching stone feature above. Radiator, pendant light chandelier, 2 wall lights.
Quarry tiled flooring, original character beams, radiator, half wood panelled walls. Ceiling pendant chandelier fitting. A cast iron fireplace inset into marble surround. uPVC double glazed window to the front.
Wooden staircase to first floor landing, with uPVC window to front, taking full advantage of the panoramic views.
Carpet flooring, large uPVC double glazed window to front with amazing countryside views. Radiator, heated towel rail, 1 pendant light fitting incorporating a a 5 blade fan, 2 wall lights over bedhead, sloping vaulted ceiling.
Carpet flooring, uPVC double glazed window to front taking in the fabulous views, original beams and feature stone wall, inset recess with shelf, part wood panelled wall, original pine latch door out to second landing.
Carpet flooring, wood panel wall, uPVC double glazed window to front, sloping ceiling, window inset into feature stone wall, connecting door into bedroom 4 and latch door onto landing.
Original pitch pine part wood flooring and part carpet, connecting door to bedroom 3, unusual feature stone wall with inset shelf. An original A frame feature, original floorboards. Velux window to front, and uPVC double glazed window to front. Access to immersion heater recessed into stone wall, and also access to the loft space and water tank.
Carpet flooring, velux window to rear, small uPVC window to side, sloping ceiling and inset ceiling light.
Vinyl flooring. White suite comprising vanity unit with inset wash hand basin and worktops either side. Panelled bath with side mixer taps, radiator, velux window to rear. Decorative acrylic waterproof panelling in the shower cubicle, and also around the bath, 2 inset ceiling spots, extractor fan, sloping ceiling. Separate shower cubicle with Mira Sport Thermostatic shower. Part wood panelled walls.
Second landing leading downstairs to utility room, kitchen and Office/study.
Wooden flooring, space for washing machine and tumble drier, with worktops over. Radiator, uPVC double glazed window to side. Hallway leading to study/office. Cloakroom understairs with low level wc.
Laminate wood flooring, uPVC double glazed window to rear, and one to side. Original character beams, pendant light, inset beam over window to rear, radiator. (Large office desk to be included in sale).
Vinyl flooring with tiled entrance area and stable door. A range of floor and wall units, with worktops over with tiled splashbacks. Gas cooker using bottled LPG, and a Sorn oil fired cooker, with warming drawer and single oven, Space for fridge freezer and dishwasher. Stainless steel one and half bowls sink with left hand drainer set in beech worktop with further floor cupboards and storage. uPVC double glazed window above provides views overlooking the courtyard and garden, The feature stone inglenook retains the original bread oven in the corner, and the original oak beam over, which in inscribed with 1843, dating to the time of the Rebecca Riots.
A driveway leads into the property to a private front courtyard, which has ample parking spaces. enclosed by stone outbuildings. The front of the property is laid to lawn with mature trees and shrubs, whilst to the side of there is a lawned area and barbeque patio, with a "secret garden" and mature fruit trees.
History of Windy Hill, Penffordd, SA66 7HU
Windy Hill is a typical Pembrokeshire long house. It was originally part of extensive lands in the Bletherston Parish which were owned by John Colby. The Colby family, who moved to Pembrokeshire around the 16th century also bought lands and estates around Narberth, Manordeifi and Fishguard, including Colby Woodland Gardens. The exact date of the older part of the house is unknown, but believed to date from the late 16th, early 17th century.
The taller "extension" was added in the early 1800's and is shown on maps from 1840, together with a range of outbuildings which form part of the property. A land tax record from 1791 show that Windy Hill was tenanted by a Thomas Llewellin, with 15 acres of land. In 1843 the date was carved into the oak beam of the inglenook fireplace to commemorate the end of the Rebecca Riots. In 1920 the property was sold by Anne Harriet Colby and Cecil Spence-Colby with approximately 130 acres of farmland. During World War 2 a family of sisters from London were evacuated to live with relatives at Windy Hill. In 1988 the current owners purchased the dilapidated house, outbuildings and approximately 3 acres of field to begin restoration.
A large Dutch barn (approx 22m x 11m) with adjacent lean-to further barn, with sloping roof, (approx 8m x 11m) situated to the eastern side of the main courtyard. Also incorporating a carpentry workshop (currently equipped and fitted out - approx 5m x 8m. A new corrugated roof was installed on this workshop area about 10 years ago. Next to the carpentry workshop is a further stone building (approx 6m x 12m) which is presently used as a gym and office. A door from this building leads directly into the workshop. The current vendors have planning permission for light industrial use.
Within the Dutch barn area a range of workshops have been constructed, including a large area with ramps for car workshops, further garage space for 2 or 3 vehicles, a metal working shop, and fully equipped carpentry and woodworking shop. There is an electricity supply to all of the outbuildings and workshops. Additionally there is a further storage room for gardening and landscaping equipment. The current owners previously ran their own landscaping business from the property, and have existing permission for light industrial use. The enclosed courtyard offers ample parking for several vehicles. If required, there is also a wide range of tools and equipment which could be made available for sale with the property, subject to negotiations.
The property is steeped in local history, dating back to at least the 18th century, and possibly earlier. Well established lawned gardens to the front and side of the farmhouse offer private and secluded areas for relaxing. The side garden also incorporates an open timber summer house, a small pergola, flowerbeds and a patio area. The adjoining field of approximately 2.5 acres is gently sloping and offers opportunities for living the "good life". There is currently a kitchen garden/vegetable patch which the current owners use to grow their own vegetables and flowers. There is a static caravan sited at the top of the field, which has been converted to greenhouse and storage area. The field could be utilised for a variety of purposes, such as equestrian, camping, horticulture or other smallholding activities. The field has additional access to the road via a private track and gateway at the bottom of the boundary.
The following information is displayed "as the crow flies" (straight line distance). For accurate up to date information, please contact the local authority or council.